CAMPGROUND REVIEW Seashore Campsites Cape May NJ

CAMPGROUND REVIEW Seashore Campsites Cape May NJ




 My wife and I put a lot of advance planning into each of the camping trips that we take.  This research has paid off for us big-time because we have stayed at many great places since we bought the pop-up camper.

Last weekend we returned to Seashore Campsites in Cape May, New Jersey--and I think that it is officially my favorite campsite for the following ten reasons:

1.   They have the best hybrid kiddy pool/adult pool that we have seen at a campground.  One end is a two foot deep kiddy pool with fountains and the other end is a fairly spacious adult pool.  You can move from one end to another in a flash.  Our lively little campers decided that running and jumping into the pool would optimize the danger and therefore optimize their fun.  We gave each of the boys several timeouts before we coerced them into holding our hands while jumping.  Two older ladies nearby, after being told that the boys had just turned two, were horrified, and one of them suggested that they "might not make it to three." For some reason this comment upset my wife.   She also asked if I was " a Canadian." This comment did not upset me but I explained that I was a "New Jerseyian" who was born and raised in Asbury Park.  She looked confused, mumbled something about me having a Canadian accent, mumbled something else about Bruce Springsteen and the 1970s, and then returned to her cocktail.

2.  The man-made fresh water swimming lake is also awesome (see top right).  There is plenty of room to spread out and no concrete in site--just sand and water.  The boys also decided that running and face-planting into the lake was a good option.  There were outbursts of tears quickly followed by more face-plants.  The tears eventually subsided.  The face-plants did not.

3. The Cape May Point State Park, which is right on the beach, is about ten minutes away and it is free.  There was plenty of room to park our camper there--though one of the rangers asked us to move it into a special location once a large group of tour buses moved out.  I asked him if I could park it there now so that I would not have to come up from the beach later. He looked at me like I was stupid and asked me if I spoke Korean.  About an hour later he cruised down to the beach on his ATV to tell us that the "Korean buses" had not moved and I didnt need to move the camper---yet! He told me to relax and we stared at the ocean together.  There were dolphins swimming by and the sun was twinkling across the water.  After a few seconds of quiet cross generation man-time he asked me if we were having a nice day and then introduced himself to our boys.

4.  The campground offers free tractor rides at 7 pm every night.  After our group of 25-30 parents and kids got rolling another group of about 10 kids on bikes and 10 adults on golf carts followed us around the campground caravan style. We honked and waved at all of the campers around us grilling up their dinners.  They honked and waved back. For many of them it was clearly Miller Time. We were also followed by an older security guard on a golf cart who pulled over at one point and gave an old-fashioned tongue lashing to a young boy for cursing at us as we drove by.  I felt like I was in a Frank Capra movie.  I love Frank Capra movies...

5.  A friendly campground worker helped me back my camper in on Friday and another friendly worker helped us get out on Sunday morning (I normally dont need help getting in and out, this spot was tight!).  There is a large staff at Seashore Campsites and every single one of them was kind, courteous and welcoming during both of our stays.

6.  There is a Starbucks nearby for 6 AM Saturday morning coffee and hot tea runs with the boys.

7.  There is also a ridiculously nice snack bar by the pool that sold a value meal called the happy camper.  The meal comes in a bright plastic beach pale with shovel.  We did not order one but did not hesitate to eat some serious family style ice cream!

8. Close proximity to the previously blogged about Cape May Zoo.  Can you say lions?  Can you say giraffes?  Can you say FREE?

9.  Top notch playgrounds located in many locations around the campground--which is really more like a camping village.

10.  There is a Starbucks nearby for 6 am Sunday morning coffee and hot tea runs with the boys!

If your looking for a fun family weekend that will not break the bank Seashore Campsites is the place for your lively little campers.  The Cape May Point State Park is nearby and it is free.  The Cape May County Zoo is nearby and it is free.  And the campground is so darn cute and nice that once you get settled you might not want to leave. There is enough fun to be had right there on site! There were times throughout the weekend when I was so happy that I felt like singing "God Bless America,"  or "American Pie" or "Free Bird."

Just make sure that you bring the bug spray and that you leave your potty-mouth at home. 








download file now