Customising a MIUI 8 ROM for a more Stock Android experience
As a fan of large screened phones, I recently purchased a Xiaomi Mi Max 2, the successor to the original Mi Max which was my primary phone throughout much of 2016. While I love the device, there are a few things that I have been wanting to change about it:
Requirements
1. The default dpi setting of 440 is far too large for a 6.4" screened phone - I previously modified the build.prop file on my original Mi Max to reduce this to 325 dpi, which gives a more compact 6x6 grid on the Google Now launcher & far higher information density on the screen when using other apps.
2. I prefer the stock Google apps (Launcher, Browser, Messaging, Dialer, Browser etc) to those provided by Xiaomi, so would ideally like to remove the Xiaomi apps and replace them with stock Google apps.

Flashable Zips
In order to do this, I have created three zip files, which I have posted to Android File Host, which can be flashed over the top of Xiaomi.eu firmware.
MIUI to Google Apps - this zip replaces the MIUI apps with stock Android apps. This includes the Launcher, which is replaced by the Google Now launcher by default
Google Now and Pixel Launcher - These install either the Google Now launcher (included with the MIUI to Google apps, but allows us to swap between Pixel and Google Now), or the Pixel Launcher, which also modifies the build.prop to enable Google Assistant. Note that these are generic zips which can be used to install either launcher as a System app on any device.
MIUI DPI changer for 325dpi or 440dpi - This will work with any MIUI device with a 1080p display to change the DPI from high resolution (325) to low resolution (stock 440).
Installation
Firstly you will need to unlock the bootloader of you Xiaomi device, flash TWRP and copy a Xiaomi.eu ROM into the file system of the device.
1. Install the Xiaomi.eu ROM
2. Install the MIUI to Google Apps package
3. If you would prefer to use the Pixel launcher with Google Assistant then flash the Pixel Launcher package
4. If you would prefer to fit more content onto your screen (e.g. for a Mi Max / Mix series device) then flash the 325dpi package.
Personally I run with the Google Now launcher at 325dpi and the Pixel launcher at 440dpi. This is because the Google Now launcher extends the grid to 6x6 icons rather than the default 5x5 grid.
MIUI to Google Apps script
In more detail, the script adds and deletes the following apps:
Delete
/system/priv-app/Browser
/system/priv-app/Weather
/system/priv-app/Calendar
/system/priv-app/Music
/system/priv-app/MiuiVideo
/system/priv-app/MiuiGallery
/system/priv-app/MiuiHome
/system/priv-app/YellowPage
/system/priv-app/Mms
/system/priv-app/Contacts
/system/app/Notes
/system/app/Email
/system/app/Calculator
/system/app/DeskClock
/system/app/BugReport
Install
Google Calculator
Google Calendar
Chrome
Google Now Launcher
Hangouts
Google Maps
Google Play Music
Google Photos
Messenger
Google Clock
Gmail
Keep
YouTube
Google Contacts
Google Dialer
Google App
download file now